Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Treasure Seekers

I am currently staying in the home of my Japanese friends.  My hostess is a wonderful cook, and she has been busy preparing delicious foods for me every evening.  Two nights ago, we ate fresh scallops that were gathered from the ocean only hours before.  You can't get much fresher unless you are on a boat, eating them raw.  We grilled them right on the table, pouring soy sauce in the shells along with a pat of butter.  They were so very tender and delicious.  I was happy to be in Japan. 

If you just look at the scallop as it is, it doesn't look very appetizing.  In fact, many of the treasures of the sea are the same way.  Upon first seeing an oyster, would you think it was an edible thing?  How about a lobster?  I really do contemplate things like, "Who was the brave soul who captured and ate the first lobster?"  But the sea is brimming with wonderful little treasure just waiting to be found.  Many of those things are far below the surface, though.  In fact, many of these things require a bit of a dive. 

The treasures of God are often similar.  So many good things lie on the surface of a relationship with God.  In fact, you can get along quite nicely simply skimming the surface and never even notice a lack.  However, if you really want a treasure, you need to go deeper.  It can never be fully satisfying to settle for surface things. Think about the relationship that you have with your friends or spouse.  If you only stay on the surface, you remain an acquaintance.  I guess you could get along with a remote friend in that fashion, but if you really want a good relationship, you need to go deeper.  You need to open up the guarded areas of your life and allow the friendship to touch your life in a more impacting way. 

The full and rewarding friendship of God is like this.  When we open every facet of our beings to His impacting presence, a deep and fulfilling experience can occur.  The true treasures of a life in Christ can be realized.  Just like a diver can go deeper to seek hidden treasures, we can pursue the riches of God.  "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!"  (Romans 11:33)  As with any friendship, if I want to go deeper into my relationship with my Savior, I need to spend more time with Him.  I should talk to Him as often as I can.  I should eat with Him - feasting on His Word. 

If there is a treasure to be found, I want to find it!  If there are riches to be had, let me have them!  I am hoping to go deeper and deeper in God with every passing day.  Every time I eat a treasure from the sea, I am reminded that I can dive into a full experience with God.

1 comment: