Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Never disappointing--shrimp and grits!

Have you ever ordered a menu item that sounded so amazing only to be left a little disappointed by the whole thing?  Happens to me all the time, but it's never been quite so bad as our recent trip to a great food city.  Wayne and I went to the restaurant of a very famous chef.  I ordered my favorite dish - shrimp and grits.  Any time a menu offers either shrimp and grits or fish tacos, I will most likely be ordering one of the two.  They are my two favorite flavor combos.  I love the blending of spicy with mundane ingredients.  And on this occasion, I was looking forward to the shrimp and grits that a chef with a household name would produce.  I was sadly disappointed.  The shrimp had a grainy, fishy taste, and they were not spiced like I would have thought they would be.  The grits weren't as creamy as cheesy as they could have been.  All in all, it was a bland little production literally leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

On so many occasions throughout my life, I have been around people who had great bitterness in their hearts toward the church.  Pastors and other leaders made promises that they didn't keep.  Maybe their lives did not have integrity, revealing hypocrisy.  Other times, the people themselves were broken and seeking refuge only to be swept aside in favor of new programs or building funds.  I've seen it all too often - people being disappointed by the church.  This is such a sad thing for me.  I understand how this happens.  I have been both hurt and have hurt others, I'm sure.  The dawning truth is that the church is made up of humans.  We are only that: human.  We can never be perfect, and we can never be above making tremendous mistakes that bring pain to others.

People can always disappoint us, but there is One who will never, ever bring such pain to our lives: God.  God's Word offers blessing.  He promises so many wonderful things, and He does not rescind His promises.  Numbers 23:19 tells us that "God is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind.  Does He speak and then not act: Does He promise and not fulfill?"  No.  God will not offer healing to a broken soul and then walk away.  He will always accomplish that which He has spoken.

Any time I meet someone who shows a lack of faith in the Body of Christ, I am happy to point out that as a body, we will fail.  We will disappoint.  But God will never fail you.  He will not disappoint you.  We too often put our faith in the institutions of man, rather than putting our faith in the being of the Almighty God.  Our perspective needs to be adjusted.  We need to find a place of worship--a place that leads us into the presence of God.  From there on, we can gain everything we need from God Himself.  Sure, the programs and aid of a church will always be helpful, but we cannot rely solely on the institution of church to meet our needs.  God is the one who promises and follows through.  He will never leave you wanting.  He will never leave bitterness in your mouth.  He will always satisfy you in a sweet and satiating way.

I will continue to order shrimp and grits, and I will continue to be disappointed, I'm sure. There is only one restaurant that, in my humble opinion, delivers every time: Red Bone Alley in Florence, SC.  Yeah, I know.  It's inland South Carolina.  I can't explain it, either, but it's the best I've ever had.  All other shrimp and grits will always be compared to this one.  And every time I go there, I am guaranteed not to be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment