Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sweeter than Honey!


I can’t believe I did it.  I just threw away half a kitchen’s trashcan worth of candy.  It pains me even to write about it.  Candy.  What was I thinking?  I was thinking that after all the Halloweens, Christmases, Valentines and Easters that we just did not need another bite of anything that was made up primarily of sugar.  I’ll be the first to admit that I have a problem, though.  I do love my candy.  I love good toffees and butterscotch.  I love my cayenne pepper dark chocolate.  I love cinnamon candies.  I love coffee candies.  I like good old-fashioned Mary-Janes and Bit-O-Honey.  My list is long and sweet.  If it has sugar, I won’t refuse it.  It doesn’t help, either, that I seem to be aging by the second.  Sugar is no longer my friend. In fact, I think my lifelong companion has actually turned on me.  Pounds are creeping up..I used to be very good at out-running my age, but the heavier I get, the slower I become, and the slower I become, the easier my age catches up.  Which is why….I just threw away half a kitchen’s trashcan worth of candy. 
I wonder if the Psalmist had the same problem? In Psalm 19 he said, “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statues of the Lord are true, making wise the simple... More to be desired are [the Lord’s words] than much fine gold and sweeter also than honey, even the honeycomb.”  It seems that the writer found the solution.  Our greed, whether for riches or other indulgences, can be better satiated in the Word of the Lord and the standards He has established for us. 
I do love food – and especially sweets – but nothing can ever take the place of the satisfying words of God.  He meets every need.  Sometimes, we try to fill our own voids by literally filling the cavern of our stomach.  The cycle seems never-ending.  We eat and remain hungry…so we eat more.  There is a solution, though.  We can be filled with the presence of God and feed on His Word.  God is the only thing that will ever sustain us.  He is the only source that does not leave us hungry.  God satisfies…better than that famous candy bar with the chocolate, caramel, peanuts and nougat. 
I will always love my sweets, but I will not turn to food for my comfort. I would rather be filled with the Word of God - sweeter than honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment