Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, March 21, 2011

I Wish I'd Thought of That!

Over the weekend, I attended a women's conference.  I like getting away with groups of women.  We always have such a wonderful time because we are able to let go of all the responsibilities of maintaining a household long enough to be filled with God's word, minister to one another and just hang out.  One of the fun things about such a weekend is that we all bring snacks to share.  The snack room had everything from fresh fruit to full-sized chocolate bars.  We are all so normally disciplined, but we threw caution to the wind and ate crazy things--at midnight and beyond!  Yes, children, we stayed up late AND ate junk.  There are no bedtimes at a women's conference.  We talk into the wee hours of the morning, and we laugh at almost everything.  The only downside to this is that conference centers usually serve breakfast some time around 7a.m.  Why?

Don't these people know that we will be up all night?  Didn't they see us line dancing in our pajamas?  Didn't they realize that we just watched a romantic comedy until midnight and then started fellowshiping?   Most likely they were asleep....because they had to get up at 5a.m. to make sure our breakfast would be ready by 7.  It's a vicious cycle and one that must be broken at a future conference.  In fact, I volunteer to bring the muffins so that we can all sleep until 8:30, at least.

My dear friend found a way around this, though.  She brought her own breakfast.  She had a secret stash of granola bars and fruit.  She also brought her own coffee pot...from home.  I kid you not!  Since the morning session didn't start until 9:30, why in the world would she need to be in the cafeteria by 7?  All she needed was a hot cup of java and a little bite. I am in complete agreement with this and, quite frankly, a little jealous.  I only wish I had thought of it before last weekend!  I, too, would have hauled my coffee pot out to the woods for the conference. 

So often I find myself looking at someone else or reading what they've written or hearing their comments, and I think, "I wish I came up with that!"  Some people are just so clever that I want to follow in the same line of thinking.  The pastor's wife who led the weekend retreat is one of those people.  Every time I hear her speak, I laugh at her quick-witted remarks and marvel at the wisdom of each vignette, and I think, "I wish I said that!  It is so funny and so right!"  The way that she processes the everyday things that she sees shows that her vision comes from God.  She sees what is tangible and turns it into a lesson for the rest of us.  I love that.

Proverbs 16:3 tells us to "commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Creative thoughts, actions, words don't just happen to us.  When we are following the Lord, He drops these things into our spirits.  When I am committed to doing everything as if it were for Him, He gives me the creative ideas that help to make my own ways better.  He helps me think of things that will not only benefit me personally but that will bring life to others, as well. 

My girlfriend's coffee pot was clearly a good idea - I actually think it was a God idea!  She had the time in the morning to read her Bible in peace before being rushed into early morning conversations. She could focus on her quiet time without being distracted (even by the great fellowship of other women of God).  She was committed to spending her time with God. 

Look for the creative plans that God will establish in your life.  He can organize a schedule better than anyone I know.  We are always busy, but if we commit everything to Him, He will give us great ideas that make even very simple things better.

1 comment:

  1. This is a verse the kids have memorized this year. I love it! He's blessed us with intelligence to come up with plans and when we turn them over to Him he blesses us even more! Miss you friend. Love to read your fabulous writing.

    ReplyDelete