Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Joyous Feasts!


I love a good feast.  The other night, a dear and true friend of mine volunteered to make heavy hors d’oevres for the ladies before we went to a concert.  We all agreed since it would be easier on our schedules than trying to go to a restaurant with a large group and little time.  When I walked in the door, I couldn’t believe my eyes.  This gal went above and beyond the call for any hors d’oevres.  In fact, that word, as impressive as it is, pales when you stand it beside the spread of food that my friend put on the counter.  There were meatballs, two fancy kinds of shrimp.  Four hummus dips, an artichoke dip, a pecan encrusted cheeseball, veggies and dips, chips, crackers.  Oh, my!  Forgive me if I drool a bit, but this was over the top.  In the limited amount of time that we had, I managed to scarf down two plates of food, and then we all trudged off to the concert – Anita Renfroe (funniest lady on the planet) and Mandisa.  I was not disappointed by a single moment in the evening.
The meal was so quick, though, that I don’t think that my friend had the opportunity to realize how very pleased we were to be in her home, eating her food!  We ate and ran.  A feast like that is made to be savored with much time and good conversation.  But I wouldn’t have traded it for any restaurant in town.  This gal can put out some good eats, and I’m sure that her husband was more than happy to help her get rid of the leftovers. 
I love the 23rd Psalm.  There is so much comfort in it.  There’s even a little hidden pleasure tucked away in there.  “He prepares a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.”  I have to suppress a smile here.  I know I’m supposed to be all serious and comforted in my valleys with my running over cups and all, but I really do like the thought that my Lord will bless me right in the face of the enemy himself.  Satan, this roaring lion who wants to devour me, comes at me with great force and constant attack.  He makes me sick.  I’m so done with him.  That is why I get so excited by the blessings of the Lord.  It’s as if I can take my blessings and look the enemy right in the eye and stick out my tongue and do that little tune that every elementary child knows…na na na na na.  If the enemy doesn’t want to see me blessed, he can go away.  He’s just not that smart. 
God enjoys heaping blessings on us.  He is ultimately victorious, so the enemy poses no threat to Almighty God; therefore, with great pomp and circumstance, I can come to the feast that God prepares for me.  I do not need to keep one eye trained on the enemy in fear that he will retaliate in some horrible way.  I accept my feast.  I revel in it.  I savor every single blessing that my Lord gives.  And, thankfully, I am not rushed.  God is so happy to spend time with me in conversation as I enjoy every good thing that He hands me.  The Creator dishes out all manner of wonderful things just for us.  He doesn’t have to be so generous in His blessing.  He could hand us little things like snacks but He chooses to prepare feasts.  And feasts are so much better!
Thank you, Sherry, for your generosity!  I enjoyed your feast!  You have given me a bountiful reminder of the goodness of God. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it was an awesome treat (thanks Sherry). I felt bad the way we all had to rush off.

    I've often wondered what kind of food the Lord serves in His feast. Things that make you go "hhhhmmmmm". I love, as you said, that it's in front of our enemy. People give the devil way too much power as it is.

    ReplyDelete