Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, March 28, 2011

Blessed in Giving

Everywhere I go, someone is putting food in my mouth.  I am currently in Japan, and these people have been given a corporate gift of hospitality!  They are so nice, and they anticipate everyone's needs and wants - even though a terrible earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster have recently tormented their nation.  The news is a constant barrage of terrible photos, videos and updates of relief efforts.  In the middle of it all, they are so genuinely kind with one another.  It is very humbling to see such a gracious response to such terrible events.  I probably don't need to remind you of America's response to such things as Hurricane Katrina or California's Northridge earthquake.  Not so gracious. 

Yet in the midst of it all, everywhere I go, people are giving me tea and feeding me.  They couldn't stop if they wanted to.  It is engrained in the society, the very fiber of Japan.  At one house alone, my long time friend, Mrs. Nagatomi, gave me her homemade bacon, yuzu koshyou, kimchi and konyaku.  She intends to send me home with 6 kilos of brown rice from her garden, as well.  Another dear friend brought me oranges from her yard and a strawberry cake.  Still others have made meals for me.  I have politely tried to refuse each one, telling them that they need to conserve for themselves, but they just won't hear of it.  Giving makes them happy.  And everytime I leave another family's house, we all shed tears of joy at having met again, and we express our desire to see each other again.  I am so blessed.

This brings to mind what Jesus Himself said: It is more blessed to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35) Truer words were never spoken.  I remember many times when I was not feeling well and had a Bible study planned.  I didn't want to go, but I was leading it, so it was a necessary event.  Almost grudgingly, I would leave the house. But...after leading people into the understanding of the Word of God, I felt so happy!  I felt so blessed!  I left every single Bible study with my feet in the clouds. Other times, people dropped by the house, and I wasn't really up to hospitality.  Just a few minutes into fellowship, I was filled with joy.  Still more often, the Lord would impress on Wayne and me to give monetarily to someone or some cause.  We would weigh the cost and consider the obedience.  Each and every time that we have given at our own cost, we have been so filled with joy and so blessed in our own circumstances.  God is faithful to His Word. 

Biblical truth applies to everyone.  It is not just for the Christian.  When someone gives, they receive blessing.  I often find it very hard to receive, especially in countries or situations where I know the other person does not have much to begin with.  But their giving is rewarded.  In fact, my receiving their gifts blesses them.  It's hard to see this with natural eyes, but in the spiritual sense, I understand this principle.  My dear Japanese friends give to me out of the suffering of their nation.  It makes them so happy to do so.  It's difficult to understand, but they have cried tears of joy and thanked me for caring for them so much.  I am humbled, but I, too, and blessed.  We all walk away being lifted in our spirits.

God's plan is not one of selfishness.  Rather, His plan is that we all love each other.  In this way, He can make Himself known.  And in this way, we can lead others into His glorious presence.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for a good harvest so they'll have the "Bread of Life" to give to others, along with the natural food they so graciously share.

    ReplyDelete