Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shaken, not Stirred


Wayne and I lived in sunny California while he was obtaining his higher degree from seminary.  While we were there, we became thoroughly acquainted with the haute cuisine of the West Coast.  We loved almost everything we got our hands on.  Restaurants prepared the freshest cleanest foods.  Nothing, it seemed, came from a freezer, can or box.  But the thing that we enjoyed as a meal most frequently was a great big blended juice from a local juice chain.  I loved the wild berry smoothie with fiber and antioxidants.  I could have had it everyday! And then…we moved back home.
At that time, North Carolina had not yet gotten into juicing.  (To this day, even, we don’t have access to a juice bar on every corner like we find in California, but we are making headway!)  We returned home and suddenly found ourselves trying to replicate the wonderful flavors we had so enjoyed out West.  We had a regular blender, and we would freeze peeled bananas, blueberries and strawberries.  To our frozen fruit, we would add milk, orange juice or plain yogurt and a mighty powerful green powder that included young barley shoots, algae, seaweed and other super greens. 
When our first child was weaned from mother’s milk, the first thing he wanted was a cup filled with one of these frozen concoctions.  He wouldn’t touch the stuff if it didn’t contain the mighty green powder!  He had grown accustomed to the healthy flavor of it all. 
I appreciate a thoroughly blended smoothie, but when it comes to my own life, sometimes the churning of life itself becomes overwhelming.  Lately, we’ve seen a rise in natural disasters and tumultuous circumstances.  It seems as if all of us have been poured into a blender of chance and left to fend for ourselves.  If you turn on the news even for a minute, you’ll see that the state of the world is in great peril.  The great news for us as believers in Jesus Christ is that we have a firm foundation under our feet.  Even though things become shaky all around us, we can stand upright in the saving grace of our Lord.  
"I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you.' declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 41:13-14) What a firm foundation!  We have nothing at all to fear.  Things may shake all around.  Disaster may come, but we are safe in the arms of God.  I, myself, was there in Haiti when hundreds of thousands lost their lives.  I am confident that God was with me.  Even if I had lost my life, I would rest safely in the arms of God.  My life here is temporary.  My future with my God and King is eternal.  I am at peace.
I believe that the days in which we live will begin to shake even more as the glory of the Lord is revealed and the enemy is defeated on this earth.  Satan is making one final effort to gain control.  He’s frantic even in his approach.  But God is on the throne.  Make no mistakes about it.  Circumstances will continue to quiver, but God Most High will be unshakable. 

1 comment: