Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rich Beyond Belief


Last night, our little girl made the most delicious little cupcakes ever!  She has a little machine that is designed just for that.  She can make cupcakes, brownies, cornbread, tiny quiches…anything that can be fit into little paper liners and baked!  She’s becoming quite the pro at all foods tiny and cute, and last night’s cupcakes were beautiful and satisfying.  We only ate one of the mini cakes a piece because they were super rich – the kind of rich that makes you close your eyes and say, “Mmmm.”
Back when I was in high school, there was a commercial for one of my favorite candy bars – Skor.  I’m not sure if these are readily available these days, as I tend to avoid candy aisles at all costs, but I really love toffee, and there’s nothing better than chocolate covered toffee, is there?  The commercial said, “You can never be too rich or too thin.”  Ain’t that the truth.  It just never applied to me.  I remember working with a girl once who did everything in her power to gain weight—she just couldn’t do it.  How crazy is that?  I told her that if she just spent one week at my table, I could pack the pounds on her, but she didn’t take me up on it.  As for the too rich part?  I do know a few people who have more than they can ever spend.  The funny thing is that they aren’t very happy. 
So what is the quest for riches all about?  It seems that our society is on a never-ending mission to get more.  If you’ve ever watched a late night info-mercial, you know that people are being presented with scheme after scheme to get rich quick.  Promises are made at every turn to transform your poverty into millions!  The lottery is a growing craze that promises to pay out hundreds of millions at times.  What is this all about?
I believe that deep in our heart of hearts, we were designed for riches.  We were designed to acquire something that goes beyond wealth.  We were designed for true riches. Philippians 4:19 says ," And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."  The riches that are found in God are incalculable.  They are without end.  There is a limitless supply to the availabilities of the Kingdom of God.  We are blessed, not fortunate.  Fortune is something that may or may not happen - something that occurs randomly.  Blessing is something that is given freely, without recompense.  God's blessing, His true riches, are for each of us who walk in submission to His perfect will.  




So, no, I can never be too rich.  I will continue to go after the wonderful blessings that await me.  And…along the way…if my daughter wants to make me an amazing cupcake or two, who am I to refuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment