Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Toboggan Kind of Love


Recently, Wayne and I visited with some friends of ours, and we had breakfast together.  The mother of Wayne’s dear friend is a sweet German lady whom we call “Oma.”  Oma is one of the most precious people I have ever seen.  She has gardening skills that any green thumb would envy.  She cooks such wonderful food.  And she loves her grandchildren and cares for them so beautifully.  The problem for me is that I can’t communicate with Oma.  She only speaks German, and I can only muster together a few German words.  Still, I watch her and understand the love that she has for her family is great.
We have had the pleasure of eating Oma’s breakfasts both here in the States and abroad in Germany.  She is a master at making jams.  Everything she puts on the table is over the top delicious.  When we were just with them, Oma served soft boiled eggs.  Each little egg had it’s own special egg cup, it’s own tiny spoon and its own carefully knitted hat to keep it warm.  I’m not joking.  It was the cutest thing I have ever seen.  Oma had made little toboggans for her eggs.  There was so much love for her family in that act.  No one has ever made tiny toboggans for my eggs!  I find myself slightly jealous! I would love to be on the receiving end of such sweet adoration.
In Matthew 23, Jesus is speaking to the crowds of people, to the Sadducees and Pharisees and to His Disciples.  His heart had been grieved by the teacher’s of the law, and He made the statement, “How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.” (vs.37) The compassion of God is so potent in this statement.  He’s saying how much He would love to bring them in close, to care for them and protect them, but they just weren’t willing to receive all that He had for them. 
I think that this is the heart of God over each of us.  He wants to hold us close to His heart.  He wants to protect us and keep us warm.  He wants to meet all of our needs.  There is usually just one problem:  we don’t receive.  What is it that keeps us from receiving the powerful love of God?  What has us convinced that total submission is a bad thing?  I have been in charge of my own life, and I have messed things up tremendously…and on more than one occasion!  I don’t want that kind of responsibility any more.  I am more than happy to give myself over to God completely.  “Submission” takes an ugly fall these days.  This is a word that has almost reached a 4-letter status, but the truth is that submitting our lives to God brings such great benefit.  Who wouldn’t want to be loved and coddled by Father God? 
I may never get tiny toboggans for my eggs, but I know that I will always be knit closely to the heart of God.  He loves me. He guards me.  He brings me close to His side and keeps me.  For this, I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't get a picture of the tiny tobogganed eggs. She sounds precious. I want to receive ALL that God has for me! I am willing to submit to His love and His plan. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete