Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, January 17, 2011

Water, water everywhere...nor any drop to drink

If I am thirsty - and I mean really thirsty - nothing on the face of the planet can satisfy but water.  I don't like many drinks that have flavor.  I'm pretty basic when it comes to the liquids in my life.  I will drink coffee with cream, unsweetened tea, grapefruit juice and water.  Of course, I'll have an occasional cup of hot tea, but it can't be infused with too much flavor.  My tongue doesn't want any sweetness in my drinks.  It seems to be another one of my oddities because I have a sweet tooth like no other.  I can hardly pass a bowl of sugar without salivating. 

Water is one of the most important things in our lives, yet it seems that there is always a shortage in some place or another.  We cannot live without the benefits of H20.  Our very cells scream out to be replenished.  Have you ever been on a long walk when it's warm?  Do you remember the dry parched condition of your throat until you made it to a water bottle or fountain?  Thirst is nature's way of letting us know we have gone too far without backup.  I'm told that if you feel the sensation of thirst, you should have had something to drink much sooner because once we feel thirsty, our bodies are already panicking. 

The Bible refers to water in our lives, as well. God is called a "Fountain of Living Water".  This sort of water is the kind that gets into the marrow of our existence with abundant refreshing.  The fact that the water in mention is living suggests that this fountain has the ability to foresee our coming needs and provide for us in advance.  Other Biblical references liken the Holy Spirit of God to the water in our lives.  The Holy Spirit is a thirst-quenching factor in our lives.

I know that I have had very "dry" periods in my walk with the Lord - times where I feel very lacking.  These are the times when I have not been soaking up the presence of God.  Maybe I haven't been diving to the depths of His Word to be filled.  Or I haven't been walking with the Holy Spirit in my daily life.  My soul becomes parched, and I long for the cool, refreshing drink of my true Source. 

Most people experience this thirsting of soul that I am talking about.  Many don't have any idea how to quench this longing.  Look around.  We see people striving to fill the void in their lives with so many things.  Some seek wealth and power.  Some seek relationship. Some seek knowledge.  Different people head to different "watering holes" when there is only one real and Divine source of Living Water. 

If I were running a long race, I would gratefully receive the little cup held out for me at the checkpoints.  I wouldn't refuse the sips that were offered to my aching throat.  I would grab the little cup and throw my head back eagerly.  We can be those people, you know.  We can hold out cups of sweet refreshing to the parched souls around us.  Our faith is not arrogant and pushy.  Our faith is life-saving and thirst-quenching.  We don't need to worry about offending the world with the water that we have to offer.  They need it.  If they taste it, they will understand that it satisfies. 

There is a water shortage in the world.  But John 7:38 says that, "Whoever believes in me, out of his/her belly will flow rivers of living water."  God supplies our personal need and then makes us a conduit of His Spirit to the thirsty souls around us.  We have tapped a never-ending source.  Let's make it known.

Our favorite bottled water?  Wayne and I like Springtime water.  It's not one of the more expensive waters out there.  We love that it is sweet and lacks aftertaste.  For the most part, though, we use our Brita filter pitcher in our home.  It's the cheapest way to get a good drink.

1 comment:

  1. You used one of my favorite Scriptures (John 7:38) - We have well water - we prayed over the well when they were first digging it, that it would be a deep well that would yield a good flow of water per minute, and never run dry! So when drought threatens, I have to pray spiritually AND in the natural!

    ReplyDelete