Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, January 24, 2011

Let the Games Begin!

Iron Chef is one of my favorite shows to watch.  I watched it way back when it was only in Japanese, and now I watch it in English!  If you haven't seen it, it's a show that has a group of 4 or 5 "iron chefs" who are consistent with the show.  Every week, a challenging chef comes on and picks one of the main guys to challenge.  The secret ingredient isn't revealed until the minute the guys start competing, and they get exactly one hour to make 5 or 6 different dishes that highlight the secret theme.  Some of the items make my mouth water, and others make my stomach roll!  For example, would you ever eat garlic ice cream?  Well...how about a beautifully aged steak with melted gruyere cheese? Of course!

It's exciting to watch the chefs go to the very last second...sweat pouring...hands shaking... And the things they come up with are both classic and newly creative.  Every now and then, I get a few ideas that twist up existing recipes, but for the most part, I just watch to see the fight go down.  The chefs always act so professional, but you have to wonder what's going on in their minds.  Are they thinking, "How could I possibly lose? I'm French!" or "Help!  How many things can one make with capers?" And when the winner is announced, they both just smile and shake hands like the true professionals that they are.

I love a good fight, and I really like to see an underdog rise to the top.  It's kind of a classic American fairy tale, isn't it?  But in my day, I have observed some fights that never should have happened.  My entire life has been spent in the shadow of a steeple.  My parents are pastors, as were my grandparents before them.  I have seen and heard so many things it would make your head spin!  It seems like the people who have the Spirit of God in them should all play fairly, but I have witnessed some unfortunate things. 

Somewhere along the way, some people have forgotten that we are all fighting on the same team!  Eph 6:12 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." We are so much more powerful against our enemy when we work together to overcome! God's plan is that we join forces to advance His Kingdom.  In this way, we can show the love of God to the world around us by showing His love to each other.  When we behave with respect, others will see the difference in us and want some of the same love and respect in their own lives.

I would love to go see Iron Chef's "Kitchen Stadium" for myself, and I'd really love to be the judge who gets to taste all the creations. But better yet would be to know that I, myself, have been a part of a winning team, leading others on to victory!

Favorite Iron Chef of the day: Last night I routed for the newest Iron Chef Forgione.  I watched him compete in a series to become the next Iron Chef.  He was polite and respectful throughout.  I like him and wish him success!

No comments:

Post a Comment