Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Out with the new, in with the old!

Since I was a child, I have never really enjoyed raw tomatoes.  It's just not my thing.  I love everything on the planet that has a cooked tomato in it...I just don't want them raw.   That's pretty funny, considering how healthy I'm always trying to keep my family!

When I was pregnant with our second child, our family went to visit friends in Europe, using miles we had accumulated.  We had a wonderful time seeing Wayne's friends from his YWAM days (Youth With a Mission).  Our second stop on the trip was Norway.  It was a great time. This family is not only the typical gorgeous group of perfect blonds, but they also have amazing, fun personalities to go with it!  Our oldest child played with their two.  The kids didn't really speak the same language, but they played for hours and hours, laughing all day.  These few days are on the top of my travel list...but...during the whole time in Norway, I did not eat a single vegetable.  No, not one.  We ate tons of bread, hotdogs, cheese, sour cream, licorice (I loved it all, mind you)....but not the first vegetable.  Being pregnant, this was so foreign for my body!  I always make a point to have colorful food in my life. So...by the time we left Norway and headed off to Switzerland, I was at the point of desperation.  When we got to our Swiss friends' home, my hopes were high because they were vegetarians.  I was really looking forward to dinner.

Dinner time rolled around, and I sat by the kitchen counter, watching my sweet friend prepare the evening meal.  She pulled out the largest bowl of tomatoes you have ever seen and started quartering the little things.  I watched in amazement as every single tomato was prepared.  She then added olive oil, balsamic, mozzarella and fresh basil, topping it off with sea salt and ground pepper.  Your typical insalata caprese in a bowl.  I waited for the next dish to be prepared....and I waited...and I waited... It never happened.  We were all served gigantic bowls of raw tomatoes for our supper - even the children.  Much to my surprise, their kids devoured their bowls and came back for more.  I couldn't let children out eat me when it came to my veggies!  So I ate heartily.  I was so very glad that I did!  My body thanked me!  Instantly, I felt that I had done a good thing for the child I was carrying!  And...believe it or not...I found out that the raw minions of my youth no longer bothered me like they had before!  I could do this tomato thing!  I believe that I grew up a little that night.

These days, if you come to my home, you're likely to have the occasional insalata caprese dish.  I do love the combo of the tangy tomato and balsamic with the fruity, nutty sweetness of the olive oil.  And who couldn't love the cheese?  A lady in the last town where we lived took this a bit further for us and introduced us to the wonderful varieties of heirloom tomatoes.  An heirloom is generally considered to be a variety that has been passed down, through several generations of a family because of it's valued characteristics. I like that.  I mean, I'm a sucker for old family "treasures".  Who knew you could pass down your vegetation, as well?  This reminds me of Exodus 20:5-6.  "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." This is the perfect illustration of how both justice and mercy dwell in the person of God.  He is just and doesn't let our wrong-doing go unnoticed.  But do you see how short his anger is? Wow!  When compared with His long arm of mercy, the justice of God is not as scary as we want to believe.  He has promised to bless our family line to a thousand generations!

I know this to be a fact.  Growing up, I committed my fair share of foolish acts. And I received punishment for almost every one.  But I have never, ever been able to leave the path of blessing that my family before me had established.  My parents, their parents, and on back for the generations that we know - all of them have loved the Lord and served Him wholly.  The goodness of God is so sweet to me and now to my own children.  Just like the heirloom tomatoes, we have been handed the valued characteristics of our family line.  And when I think that multiplication of that "thousand year blessing" happens with each new generation who faithfully follows God, it's mind-staggering! My children's children's children (and on and on) have such great things to look forward to!

So...this summer when the tomatoes start hanging on the vines, go to your local farmer's market and pick up a few of the older varieties.  There's a reason the seeds have been passed down!  They have flavors that are superior to their mass-produced supermarket cousins!  Go ahead! Out with the new, in with the old!

My favorite veggie of the day: I love, love, love asparagus!  Try some roasted at high heat with olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.  you can also toss in some onions, garlic and a little lemon or orange zest for extra flavor.  I like to roast ours until the floral ends get slightly crispy.  Yummy!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that tomato salad. And I just might like asparagus if prepared like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would love it! Then take the leftovers and toss with a homemade Italian dressing and serve cold with a salad or sandwich. Two meals in one! :) (and we LOVE less cooking, right?)

    ReplyDelete