Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Friday, January 7, 2011

Let them eat fallen cake!

When I was in elementary school, my mother cooked three meals a day.  By the time I hit middle school, she was down to two.  Once I was in college, she pretty much quit cooking altogether.  And now that I am the mistress of my own household, she seems to be back to cooking three meals a day.  It's funny how the cycles roll around.  In those early years, though, she was well-known for her delicious cooking!  Everyone looked forward to the food that Jewelle would bring to any gathering.  Our home was immaculate, and ours was the place to be because the snacks were awesome!

One particular evening, there was to be a small-group gathering of church folk in our home.  My mother had cooked the meal and then mixed a cake and put it in the oven.  I don't understand the chemistry of it, but do you remember the days when cakes were finicky and had the occasional tendency to "fall"? Well, this cake fell, and it fell HARD.  When she took it out of the oven, she knew that there would be one gentleman in particular who would not let the moment go down easily.  He would laugh and carry on about it for years if he saw this cooking disaster - especially since she was so known for perfection!  So...she did what any one of us would do....she hid it...in the dryer... She quickly threw together some cookies to throw him off the scent, but that fallen cake went in the dryer. 

As expected, dinner went well, and Mr. Mike began to inquire about the dessert he had been smelling all evening.  "I know it's a cake, and I know it's going to be good!"  "No," she said, "You definitely are smelling these cookies."  "No, Jewelle, I know it's a cake.  I have an amazing sense of smell."  He just wouldn't let it go.  Mama made the coffee and served the cookies, but Mr. Mike was determined to find that cake!  He snooped all around the house until he came to the laundry corner....and then he did the unthinkable! He opened the dryer!  Who but Mr. Mike would ever have opened that dryer?! I can't even begin to tell you the ribbing that ensued.  He was merciless!  The cake fiasco became the topic of every good "Jewelle" moment! And, of course, it was all in fun.  She never seemed to mind too much, but the image of perfection that she had so carefully established was knocked down a notch. 

I know exactly how she feels.  Have you ever done all that you can to make a good impression only to slip up and be your naturally foolish self?  I may be alone in this, but it seems to happen to me all the time.  I am wrought with mistakes!  My mouth is my own un-doing!  I say the most foolish things sometimes and then spend the next few weeks wondering, "What was I thinking?"  No matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll ever be perfect.  And that's OK.  Little by little I am learning to give myself more grace.  And by this same token, I try not to judge too strongly those around me who make their own "mistakes."  I Samuel 16:7 says that "[We] look on the outside, but God looks at the heart." He knows our true intent and does not hold us accountable for every single foolish blunder.  (And in the case of this particular verse, He knows our foolish intent when our actions appear right.)

I am learning to be real.  I have found that, in ministry, I am able to speak more poignantly to people when I expose my own short-comings.  People can relate to our mistakes, but very few feel comfortable with our "perfection." 

So...make that cake, Mama!  Let it fall!  (I really always loved the fallen ones, anyway...they were good and chewy!)

Favorite Restaurant of the day: Nordstrom Cafe.  If you know me, you know that this is my "kitchen away from home."  I'm just so sad that we moved away from Nordstrom!  My favorite dessert on the menu is the bread pudding with white chocolate and raspberry sauces!  I didn't even know I liked bread pudding!  But...if your cake has fallen, this is the perfect thing to do with it!

On a very personal note:  Mr. Mike, mentioned above, is dying.  He has prostate cancer that has metastasized to his bones.  He said that his doctor has given him the "few weeks" speech.  I don't put my trust in this verdict, though.  He is still in his 60s, and he has such a beautiful family: wife, 2 daughters and their husbands, 5 young granddaughters.  Mr. Mike loves the Lord and is believing for the miraculous.  Please pray for his complete healing!  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog. I agree totally about Nordstroms Cafe. Love their Pear & Cherry Chicken Salad! Will be praying for Mr. Mike. My dad received the same diagnosis and was given a 3 months to live diagnosis. I prayed ferverantly and asked eveyone I knew to pray including my daughter's 3rd grade class at Cresset Christian Academy.The result was his complete healing with the cancer hot spots disappearing from his bones! He was cancer free and when he did pass away some years later it was heart failure and instantaneous. God is good, prayer changes things and I'm going to believe the same for Mr. Mike. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! I'll pass this along to Mr. Mike's family. He will be blessed and encouraged! Thanks, Pam. You are a true hero to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Joyce Mauer sent me your blog - I enjoyed reading it and want to add you to my blog roll. If you have a minute drive by my blog at http://hopehearthome.com/
    Blessings and A Lot of Hope, Susan Shipe

    ReplyDelete