Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, January 3, 2011

New year, new us!

I, once again, find myself confined to the kitchen all day long!  My flock (of two) have started 2011 not with a bang...but a whimper.  My daughter spent a whopping 6 hours doing only 2 of her prescribed subjects in the homeschool course.  We just couldn't seem to get the day going well.  Was it the copious amounts of eggnog we've consumed over the last 2 plus weeks?  Could it have been the decadent chocolates that went un-ignored on every countertop?  Whatever the cause, we have lacked momentum as a family today, and I aim to get things moving at a quicker pace...tomorrow!

I have been more than opposed to starting a blog since this whole internet thing became an overnight success...but...I have finally given in to the inevitable in the whole chain of social networking.  I only joined facebook after the events of last January left me needing to connect with hundreds with a single stroke of the computer keys. (...as it turned out, I found myself landing in Port-au-Prince mere minutes before the earthquake occurred.  The internet was a stunning vehicle when my husband was requesting prayer in the hours of the unknown.) Therefore, after all my hemming and hawing, here I am.

My occupation? Housewife, teacher of two, occasional speaker in churches and women's functions...but my most favorite position of all is that of the "Kitchenary."  What's that, you say? I'm glad you asked.  A kitchenary is one who can combine all of the things she loves into one noble profession: cooking, eating, girlfriends, sharing....Jesus. I have been a kitchenary pretty much all my life!  In fact, my mother has made the observation that the people in our family tend to be obsessed with food (often not a good thing).

I have been around the world, and I have eaten my fair share of - how shall I put this - interesting foods.  Very often, I've been an ambassador of sorts and felt the need to eat up!  Oh, the stories I will share!

I spend more than half my day in the kitchen.  This is where I homeschool our children and where I express my love to my family.  We are a family in international ministry, so our home has many flavors. As I begin this new year - and this new blog - I hope that you will be encouraged to pull up a chair, fill up your plate and devour all that God has in store for you! The buffet line is open! "Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

On today's menu: Miso soup!  The possibilities are endless!  If you want to try it, I have a few good tips.  Buy a miso paste that has been seasoned with "katsuo dashi".  In fact, I often add more of this smoky fishy broth to the water before I add the paste.  I boil whatever veggies I choose in the broth, add some bits of meat and then, at the very end, mix the miso paste into the soup (pressing it through a strainer so that it breaks up properly).  Never allow the soup to boil once you add the paste! (It kills the "good stuff" in the miso!) Look up a good recipe online and get healthy!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you joined the blogging world - even if your first recipe is something I will probably NEVER eat! However, I AM a fellow kitchenary whose life usually revolves around food, family & friends, but mostly food. Can't wait to see what you post in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! I think I'll go have some Miso now : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Miso soup, I haven't made it in a few years though. Never tried katsuo dashi flavored miso though, I just got the the katsuo dashi soup base stuff (like bouillon powder in packets.
    Shrimp eyeballs? very interesting!

    ReplyDelete