Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cookies! Get your Girl Scout cookies!

The Girl Scouts are at it again!  I see you, cute little pixies, behind those card tables in front of my supermarket!  I see you with your vibrantly colored, hand-drawn posters, vying for my attention as I try to focus on my grocery list!  I know what you're trying to do!  You're trying to lure me in with promises of do-si-dos, samoas, tagalongs, peppermint patties!  The names have changed through the years, but your cookies remain the same: delicious, compact, satisfying.  Some of you have even braved the snow to ring my doorbell!  Oh, you're good.  And I just have one thing to say about it, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" 

I have waited all year long to stock up on my Girl Scout cookie boxes!  I am in the habit of buying several boxes and sticking the whole lot of them in the freezer.  They are the perfect little snack to pull out when the kids have sleepovers or when us moms have a cup of coffee.  Who doesn't love a Girl Scout cookie?

I think of these tiny, satisfying morsels of sweetness the same way I think of 5-10 minutes on the sofa with a cup of coffee and the Bible.  Some days and times are made for hours of study and preparation and some days I'm good to get in a solid 5 minutes of quiet time before the entire household is up and in my personal space.  I used to fret over it, thinking that I had not pleased the Lord with so little time.  In our busy schedules, though, I've learned that if I can't have a huge chunk of time for study, I can take the moments here and there that I have and add those together.  Do the math.  If you give 10 minutes every morning, you've given 70 minutes at the end of the week.  Seventy minutes sounds much better, doesn't it? 

I'm also in the habit of stealing other little moments.  For example, folding clothes is the perfect time to pray over each person in my home. Stirring the pot or loading the dishwasher, I can pray for other parts of the world that the Lord has laid on my heart.  Taking a shower, I can intercede with the Holy Spirit.  Sitting in the car while Matthew is in guitar is 30 whole minutes of time to read and hear from God. 

Just like a little Girl Scout cookie grabbed from the pantry, I can grab these little compact moments with Jesus.  Our quiet times don't have to be drawn out hours every day.  Yes, there is a need for more in depth study every now and then, but if you don't have that kind of time, be sure to take the few minutes here and there.  They really do add up....and they truly are satisfying!


Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?  I love the Samoas - and like most of these cookies, they have changed their name.  I just bought 4 boxes and still don't know what they're called now.  What's YOUR favorite Girl Scout cookie?

1 comment:

  1. I like the peanut butter ones - but don't know the official name. I NEVER have anyone ask me to buy girl scout cookies - not sure why?

    ReplyDelete