Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Simplest Recipe

I collect cookbooks,  I receive cooking magazines, and  I read these things like some people read novels.  I enjoy seeing how other people combine flavors, and, from time to time, I try a few of these recipes out for myself!  I have to admit, though, I prefer simple recipes.  There are many fabulous dishes that I will never attempt to cook because there are 15 plus ingredients and 3 or 4 steps involved.  Give me the simple life!  For example, there's a certain household name in the cooking/decorating industry (a former model-turned-household-mogul, famously incarcerated) who makes the most wonderfully beautiful foods.  They also often happen to look incredibly complicated.  As much as I think this woman hung a tasteful home-making moon, I probably won't prepare her recipes. 

In general, I want to know the most direct route to anything.  I don't care if driving on the main road gets me into more traffic.  I want the straightest pathway with the least amount of turns.  When I'm doing a task, I want the most basic outline of what needs to happen.  And when I'm hearing a story, I'd like just the facts, M'am.  I'm incredibly simple and hopefully somewhat efficient. 

There was a time in my life when I thought that leading someone to the Lord must be an awfully daunting task.  It seemed like there were too many things to remember...so much ground to cover in one moment that it must be almost impossible.  I was under the youthful impression that only those with an evangelistic "calling" could accomplish such a thing.  How foolish!  There is nothing simpler.  The hardest part is overcoming our own personal fears.

In truth, people want to hear the Gospel.  They want to have the solution to the problems in their lives.  They act as if there is nothing farther from their desires, but they really do want the freedom of a life in Christ.  It's like the little boy on the playground who taunts the one little girl with pigtails.  He calls her names and carries on in a most hurtful fashion...when all along, he wants her affection.  That's how the world treats Jesus.  They act so hateful and juvenile towards the King of all kings, but their hearts are screaming out for the affection of their heavenly Father. 

The recipe is simple.  Share the basic truth of the Gospel.  Jesus came.  He lives a sinless life.  He took our sin on Himself and died in our place. On its own, it is compelling and sweet.  Then you can tell how your life is changed.  Personal stories add great modern-day flavor to the Gospel - it lets people know that they, too, can have access to the greatest story ever told.  If people reject the Lord, at least the seed has been planted.  Trust me, it will stay with them.  But if they are moved to accept Him, the rest is easy.  Romans 10:9 gives us the basic recipe for salvation. "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,; and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

You can trust that the very presence of God will work in their lives after they have received Christ.  There will be plenty of time to give them guidance or to point them in the right direction for help along the way.  Getting people to a place of salvation, though, is easier than we realize.  Our input is obedience.  God does all the rest.  There couldn't be a more direct recipe to soften and sweeten a hardened heart.

Favorite simple recipe of the day:  Corn Pudding.  Take one can of creamed corn and one can of kernel corn, juices included.  Add to that one box of Jiffy corn muffin mix and 3/4 stick butter, melted.  Mix thoroughly.  Put in small casserole/souffle dish and bake @ 350 until done.  It depends on your dish and your oven, but start looking at it around 45 mins.  It should be soft but somewhat solid and slightly golden on the top.  Yum!  My own mother has used it along with a turkey breast to mimic a Thanksgiving meal anytime without the hard work of homemade dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment