Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time off IS good behavior

Last night, I was on the phone with my younger sister.  We were both talking about how busy we are these days when we made the discovery that we had the same plans for the evening meal:  frozen pizza!  I think this is so funny because I can count on one hand the number of times my children have had a frozen pizza in our home.  (And I really think the number is three or less.)  The fact that both of us had the same idea on the same day tickled me!  It's so unlike us.

As it turned out, my kids and I each had one piece.  We stopped right there.  It just wasn't what we were hoping it would be.  They were super happy, though, because they were able to enjoy yet another forbidden food: soda!  They've had soda in our home even less than they've had frozen pizza!  About twice a year I just want something fizzy, so last night was the night for all things taboo.

Sometimes I'm just too tired to put too much effort into meal planning and preparation.  Having just gotten over a cold, I just lack the wherewithall to get much done.  The Lord is OK with our exhaustion.  He knew that we would be living busy lives, running ourselves ragged.  Did you ever wonder why there is a commandment that tells us to "Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy"? Of course, we are to take time to meditate on the Lord and nothing else, but I believe that it goes much deeper than that.  We are human.  We are made of finite stuff.  God Himself knows that we will get weary.  It's very important that we take the appropriate amount of time to restore not only our spiritual input but also our physical strength. 

Without times of spiritual and physical refreshing, we become dull and ineffective.  You know how it feels to be going through the day after being up with a sick child all night?  It's hard to concentrate or get much done.  We begin to operate at a much lower percentage.  Rather than going around making careless mistakes or being less than average, God has it in His plan that we take the time to rest our weary souls.  Included in this is a time away from the labor of our every day.

When I was a child, everything was closed on Sundays.  Store and school holidays lasted longer.  People took more time to be off.  Now it seems that we all feel so indispensable that we just keep going...Sundays...holidays....  Last year I was so disappointed to see that even the schools are in session on Good Friday now.  When will it end?

Because my parents are pastors, our home was pretty busy both Sunday morning and Sunday evening, but they took all afternoon to nap, read the paper and relax.  I come by it honestly.  I almost refuse to lift a finger on Sunday.  It's not that I'm pious or scared to break the rule, I just love having the day off!  All of the rest of the time in my life is devoted to cooking, cleaning, homeschooling...being on.  But I'm all for Sunday rest.  I'm all for vacation.  I'm all for sabbatical.  I think that times of refreshing in our lives are near and dear to the heart of God.  He thought it was important enough to include it in His "top ten" list!

So, if from time to time the kids have to eat a frozen pizza, what does it matter?  Today I feel more rested.  I was able to accomplish more.  God's plan was a good plan.

Enjoy a break without the guilt.  You need it.

1 comment:

  1. We eat frozen pizza at least once a week...maybe I'm unbalance on the whole "rest" thing, LOL I'm glad you got to relax & recoop.

    ReplyDelete