Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Mommy, can I cook?"

"Mommy, can I cook something?"  These are the words that I hear on a regular basis.  Our daughter is wanting to be involved in the kitchen every chance she gets.  Even our son gets in on the activity.  They are becoming pros at all things breakfast, which is fine with me since I'm not all too fond of waking up to cook.  I prefer to put on my chef's hat later in the day. 

In the beginning, when these questions first escaped their mouths, I hesitated.  I was a bit afraid of the messes they would make.  We've all either experienced such childish messes or seen them on TV.  Any time a little one is allowed to "cook", there will be cleanup.  But...little by little...I've let them make their way into the kitchen, creating their own masterpieces to go along with the mess.  Their zeal is endearing, and they learn things so quickly.  I would rather they find out now about all the little tricks of cooking than get out on their own one day and be utterly helpless in the kitchen.  (I've seen this in some young ladies I've watched getting married!)

There are so many other areas in life where our children need to begin to step in and take part.  Our family is geared toward ministry, so we are eager to introduce our children to a life of Kingdom service.  Every chance I get, I invite the children to join us in prayer for others.  I encourage them to befriend the children who need a little extra attention.  In the beginning, their prayers may not be eloquent.  They may not really know what to say or how to express the feelings in their hearts, but I push them to try.  Even a sentence nervously breathed in prayer is a powerful thing.  I'm certain that when a little one speaks to the Father, He sits on the edge of His seat and listens closely. 

Matthew 19:14 says, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Children are our responsibility.  We are to teach them and encourage maturity in their lives.  We can teach them to lead lives of prayer and service to the Lord.  We can teach them to hear the voice of God from an early age.  They are not hindered by thoughts of what others may think of them.  They are blank canvases on which we can lovingly paint the heart of the Father.  If we are not training their little hearts, you can rest assured that someone is.  It could be TV, games, other kids, other adults they admire. 

Invite your children into maturity.  Encourage them to work alongside you.  Let them learn from you.

Today's suggestion: Cook your supper with your kids.  Give them each a job. The benefits are so great!  First, they will feel proud that you've entrusted them with such responsibility. Next, they will be much more likely to eat what is put before them if they themselves had a hand in it!  (Note:  Spaghetti and salad is an easy starting point!)

2 comments:

  1. I was one of those women who got married without barely even knowing how to boil water! So I am in full agreement with you about letting the kids do as much around the house, and in the kitchen as they can. I totally agree about the spiritual stuff too - we have our kids pray for us when we're sick & tell them all the time that being a Christian is not just for grown ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sister!
    Thanks, Angie, for reading and commenting! You are an awesome cheerleader, and I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete