Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

NASA Calling...

I used to think that I had to do all things well.  I'm over it now, but it did haunt me for quite some time.  I never wanted to admit that something was beyond my capacity of understanding or ability.  And getting to a place where I could readily admit a weakness was no easy thing.  This is called maturity.  Maturity takes some time, doesn't it?

My children are now in the phase of life where they know everything and can do it all without instruction.  I recently heard a comedian talking about how he was waiting for the call from NASA saying, "Mr. So-and-so, we've done all we can...now we need your son.  He's the only one who knows everything."  I have one of those NASA-stumping youths in my life, and I gave an understanding chuckle when I heard the man talking.

Wayne and I have been to quite a few well-known restaurants in our marriage.  We've been seated near the kitchens of many of them, and I watch in amazement at the process of cooking.  It's a very rare thing when only one person has his or her hands on a particular dish.  I'm no expert, but from my vantage, it seems like there are those who chop, those who stir, those who plate and those who oversee everything that goes on in a professional kitchen.  One plate is the work of many hands. In fact, many areas of our lives reflect this same idea.  If our homes are to be in smooth working order, it is the result of everyone working together, each doing his or her unique job.  This is the nature of a workplace.  Not everyone answers the phone. Not everyone makes the pitch. Not everyone makes the product.  But everyone working together brings about a finished work that is desirable. 


Ephesians 4:11-13 reminds us that the Body of Christ operates in this same fashion.  We are not meant to stand alone.  In fact, we were created with different gifts and talents so that we can function together to obtain unity and wholeness. "It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." This sounds awfully difficult, but it is basically saying that no one person has to do or be everything.  We aren't even expected to walk our faith alone.  We are meant to be in fellowship with other believers so that we can encourage each other and keep pointing each other in the right paths.

Maturity allows us the opportunity to let go of the reins and invite other people in to give instruction and aid.  Maturity says, "I need you."  When we realize that we do not have to be perfect in every area of our lives or our faith, there is much joy in doing our portion well.  In this way, no one person gets the credit for a job well done.  It is shared by everyone.  And we can relax.

It is important to find a church home that you love.  Realize that no singular church will ever be perfect, but once you find a place that you can call home, roll up your sleeves and offer your help in whatever area you can do well.  You will be much more fulfilled in your life if you are part of such a body.  The joy and blessings will undoubtedly spill over into the rest of your life. 

And until you get that call from NASA, just understand that there may be one or two things that you don't know.  ...but someone else does...

Menu Suggestion of the day: My NASA-stumping youth just now suggested that I put in frozen go-gurt!  We love to buy the tubes of yogurt and then put them in the freezer.  Someone else has done all the work, and we just pull them out after a while and enjoy something akin to ice cream....only it's yogurt with live and active cultures!  After they are frozen, we microwave for about 10 seconds to get them to a creamy frozen state.  Kids love it (and so does this mom!).

1 comment:

  1. My little guy loves Go-gurt! (not Bobby, the other little guy)

    ReplyDelete