Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate for the Soul

Today is Valentine's Day!  Oh, how excited I am to be staring at a box of chocolates even as I type!  I do love a bit of sweetness in my days.  Wayne and I have been rewarding ourselves with boxes of chocolates for years now, and as the years add up, so do the pounds!  But chocolate just makes us feel so happy!

My favorite kinds of chocolates usually involve caramel and/or nuts.  I love Godiva's "Open Oyster".  I also like the Guylian Seashell Chocolates.  The entire box of Mrs. See's Nuts and Chews can disappear in mere moments if found in my hands.  And when those dime store boxes find their way into our home, the little squares of caramel are the first to go!  If there's no dessert on the table, one or two bites of chocolate will always do the trick. It's simply amazing how one little bite of something so heavenly changes the entire moment.

Proverbs 12:25 points us in the direction of the soul's chocolate..."An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."  My husband is the ultimate chocoholic!  He would eat his weight in chocolate if I let him!  He'll even get up and dance around a room if a bite is particularly good.  But in all his desire for cocoa goodness, he would much rather have a kind word.  In fact, all the members of my household are so very happy when they hear that they are doing well...that I am proud of something they've said or done.  My children light up like Christmas trees if I say that I like something about them.  Even if a child is storming past me, all I need to say is "I love you," and the storm subsides.  Isn't it wonderful that these kindnesses are so sweet and satisfying?

It's easy to offer "chocolate" to the souls nearby.  We don't always need to point out the negative in every situation.  But to point out the positive is uplifting to everyone involved.  People usually know when they fail.  It's obvious.  But we're so geared to see our personal failures that we often lose sight of the qualities about ourselves that make us wonderful.  To compliment our family and friends is to open a box of chocolates and to offer them the first choice.  How sweet it is!

While you are out picking up that box of Valentine's Day candy, write down a list of things you love about your husband, wife, child, friend.  Let them know the wonderful little things that endear them to you.  Tell them how very proud you are of who they are. 

Oh, and Happy Valentine's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment