Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fresh Fruit

I have in front of me a bowl of shriveling fruit. Tangerines and kiwis to be exact. I bought plenty of fruit because I would rather my family snack on that than other sugary options; however, here half of it sits...shriveling. I just can't stand the thought that money is being wasted, so I'll probably make them all eat a piece for breakfast. But this isn't just a one-time event. This happens every time I buy a bag of those little easy-to-peel seedless tangerines. We dive right in and love eating them in the first few days and then forget that they are here and let them go to waste. Uneaten fruit rots. It's just the way it is.

I look at every single moment in my life and wonder what I can learn. In this case, I started thinking about that idea...that uneaten fruit spoils. I think I've stumbled onto something here.  I know that the fruit of the Spirit comes directly from staying on the vine of Jesus, but do I take advantage of the fruit that exists for me?  I like to look back now and again to really see if I'm living the life that I should. Galatians 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  I like to think that I'm walking in all of these, but just one recap of a day's events will always show that I have had moments throughout that day where I did not move in the joy or peace or gentleness or patience, etc, that was required of me.  The interesting thing is that I don't grow these fruits.  They are the fruits of the Spirit!  It is intended that I eat of these fruits and let them transform my life, my environment, my family, my world.  If I am letting this fruit rot in my heart without eating and enjoying it, I am remiss. 

Just like the bowl that is permanently fixed on our kitchen table, there is a bounty of good fruit available for those of us who want to live life in the Spirit.  Jesus presents all good things to us, but we have to reach out and partake.  He is such a good host.  He won't force us to eat what is before us.  But why would I come to the table of Christ and let good fruit go bad? 

I will spend the rest of the day (and hopefully much longer) trying to keep the fresh fruit of God's Spirit in my mouth!  I encourage you to examine your own words and actions and to do the same.  It's always so much better to serve fresh fruit than a shriveled, rotten mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment