Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad you stopped by. I happen to be one of those people who lives to eat, and the only thing I love more than eating is hanging out with my family and friends. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down to my daily devotion. I can't wait to tell you what's on my mind today....

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Coffee Companions

I'm snuggled up in bed, waiting for my coffee to brew.  This is one of my favorite times of the day.  I'm not even remotely a morning person, but I secretly love to be the only person awake in the house.  I can study, write, daydream and savor the first strong cup of coffee for the day.  This is something like Heaven for me, and that little ding that lets me know that my coffee is ready is somewhat like the ding on the elevator that gets me there!  I don't think you have any clue as to how serious I am!  I get almost giddy every morning being alone in the quiet with my coffee....my only regret is that it doesn't happen later in the day. 

The truth is that I adore my family.  I love every single second spent with them - the good, the bad and the ugly.  But I can't hear myself think when so many people are talking at once (which seems to be the way we conduct business around here).  I don't think that my thoughts are all that special, but it's usually in the quiet and contemplative moments of my life that God's voice is crystal clear.  I love that.  I've heard many times that the best response when an atheist asks, "How do you know God is real?" is simply to say, "I spoke with Him today."  Who can deny that?  You'd either have to be a fool or the real deal.  The fruit of either is evident in our lives, isn't it? 

When I take the time to speak to God every day and to hear His voice, my life is clearly touched by His presence.  It is equally as obvious when I go on about my business without taking that time.  I think that the Psalmist had it right when he proclaimed,  "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." Psalm 84:10

Being in the presence of the Almighty God is so rich and comforting.  All of the details of life that swirl around in my head throughout the day are erased in the company of my Lord.  None of the things that squander my time hold any importance when I sit in my Father's lap.  Just one moment with Him is so much better than to spend a lifetime in a palace.

God loves to meet me for coffee.  Of course, He'd meet me any other time of the day, but we both enjoy the quiet of our mornings together.  I think it's His favorite time of the day, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment